This isn’t going to be a detailed tutorial. I took some pictures while doing this little project, but they aren’t step by step, but it will give you an idea.
When I was pregnant with Jane, I bought this cute little tunic at Goodwill. It’s not maternity, but worked out great for me because it was long. However, it had a weird pocket that was placed over way too far. Also, now that I’m NOT pregnant, the tunic is kind of shapeless and not super flattering. (a.k.a., I don’t want to look pregnant when I’m NOT)
So, I decided to do a little experiment. If it didn’t work, no biggie because it was only a few bucks at the thrift store. If I did end up liking the end product, great! A new and improved shirt in my wardrobe for free.
So, I wanted to fix the weirdly placed pocket and give the shirt a little more shape. The first step was easy…
I simply removed the pocket with my seam ripper, moved it over a few inches and then sewed it back on. The only downside is that the old seam is a little bit visible. If you look hard enough, you can see some little holes where the pocket used to be. I guess this is due to the lightweight knit fabric.(I have since washed it since this picture was taken and it’s much LESS visible now after washing and drying it) But, it doesn’t bother me too much…it’s not like I’ll be wearing this shirt to a black tie event. My next idea was to create a gathered empire waist for the tunic.
Since it was long, I knew it would be a big deal to shorten it a few inches. So, I cut off the hem right above the seam.
Then, I pinned it where I wanted the empire waist. Since this is knit fabric, I just left one of the edges raw because it will not fray. The other edge is the turned under former hemline. Since I knew the waistline was going to be gathered, I figured a raw edge wouldn’t be super noticeable.
Then, I just top stitched the waistband in place. I did one seam along the top edge and one along the bottom edge, leaving a gap to insert the elastic.
Next, I measured my length of elastic, pinned a safety pin to one end (to make threading it through the waistband easier). Threaded it through and then stitched everything closed. (I told you this wasn’t going to be detailed or step by step!)
This is what the gathered waist now looks like:
After making a new hem, I’m done!
It turned out pretty cute for my first attempt at something like this. I will say I’m not totally satisfied with the hem job. I haven’t worked with knits very much and they are a little tricky. So, I am still learning. The hem doesn’t look perfect, so I may still tweak it.
But, it was a fun little project! I am now in the mood to find some more things at the thrift store to makeover!