I had a small set of drawers that someone gifted to me and decided to spruce them up for my girls since it will be a spot for them to organize their doll clothes. Instead of boring paint, I thought I would take some kids drawing papers and Mod Podge them onto the drawers. The end result is super cute and I love that my daughter’s artwork is now forever on display in a super unique way.
If you want to try a DIY playroom furniture update for free, then this tutorial is perfect for you. All you need is some paint, child’s drawings and Mod Podge to great a super cute and creative furniture piece for your playroom.
DIY Playroom Furniture Update For Free
This is such a fun way to preserve your child’s drawings forever! I always feel guilty throwing out all of their little papers and creations, but I also can’t stand living in a sea of paper. I love any creative way that can a kids drawing and display it in a new way.
Materials Needed For DIY Playroom Furniture Update
For this project, you will need:
- Furniture Mod Podge
- Child’s Drawings (Drawn in Sharpie)
- Foam Brush
1. First, I took my little set of drawers and gave them a good cleaning. Then I gave everything a few coats of white satin spray paint.
2. Next, my daughter got to work making some patterns with a sharpie on white paper.
Make sure to use a permanent marker so that nothing bleeds when adhering the artwork to the furniture.
3. Brush a layer of Mod Podge on the furniture first
4. Cut the art to the correct size and place it on, smoothing out any bubbles. Cover it with another coat of the Mod Podge. Allow it to dry and add another coat or two to make sure it’s really durable.
I painted the knobs with some aqua paint that I already had on hand and I love the pop of color against the white!
And there you have it! Think of all the different ways you could take kid drawings and Mod Podge them onto things. A wooden tray, a mirror, coasters…so many possibilities!
For more kid-inspired projects, check out my other popular tutorials: