If you are in the process of updating a kid’s room, then chances are you need to think about window treatments. Curtains are always kind of an afterthought for me and even though I’ve been redecorating rooms in my home for years, I always forget how expensive curtains can be. I usually end up needing more panels than I think and even if I’m buying more inexpensive curtains from places like Target or Walmart, it still adds up. However, I have the perfect solution, especially for a more informal space like a kid’s room. If you want to learn how to make curtains for a kid’s room using sheets, then this is the place for you. You won’t believe how easy they are and how much money you will save!
How to make curtains for a kid’s room? First, purchase a flat bed sheet. Next, mix some fabric paint with water. Lay your curtain out on a drop cloth and tape around the edges with painter’s tape to hold it in place. Paint on your design with your fabric paint and water mixture. After it has dried, trim off the top of the sheet to fit the length that you need. Hem the edge with a sewing machine. Divide the curtain in half and cut it down the center. Hem the sides with a sewing machine. Lastly, Hang your curtain.
How To Make Curtains For A Kid’s Room Using Sheets
I am no stranger to making curtains out of bed sheets. I have used sheets to make curtains for all of my kids’ rooms. In fact, I have a super old tutorial on how to make curtains out of sheets. I wanted to do the same thing since we were on a super tight budget for our son’s room makeover, but I really wanted to have patterned curtains in his room. Since I couldn’t find any patterned sheets that I liked, I decided to make my own pattern using fabric paint.
I wanted a more organic pattern, so I just kind of went for it an did some loose brush strokes in the sheets. I am pleased with how it turned out, but you could use this same tutorial to do any pattern that you want. If you are wanting super straight lines or geometric shapes, it might be trickier to get it perfect. I think this method works best for a more organic pattern. I think this is a great, inexpensive method for how to make curtains for a kid’s room!
Materials Needed For DIY Curtains For A Kid’s Room
- Flat White Sheet
- Fabric Paint
- Paint Brush
- Sewing Machine
- Painter’s Tape
- Drop Cloth
Instructions For How To Make Curtains For A Kid’s Room Out Of Sheets
1. Lay your flat sheet out on a drop cloth and tape around the edges with painter’s tape.
2. Mix fabric paint with water to create a runny paint mixture.
3. With your paint mixture and paint brush, make small brush strokes on your sheet.
If you follow me in Instagram, you can find a timelapse video of this process!
4. After the paint is dry, measure your sheet to be the length that you need. Cut off the top of the sheet and turn the edge under, stitching it with a sewing machine.
You could do this with fabric tape for a “no sew” version.
5. Fold your sheet in half and cut down the center. Turn under the cut edge and stitch it down.
6. Use curtain clip rings to hang your curtain up.
It’s that easy! I’m sure you will love your new curtains and no one will believe that they are made out of sheets!
For more tutorials on my son’s room makeover, check out these posts:
- How To Paint The Perfect Black Accent Wall
- DIY Letter Art Using Cane Webbing
- How To Make A Wall To Wall Shelf
- Easy Bookcase Makeover For Kids