I am many things. A wife to a pastor, mom to 3 beautiful girls (Lula, Jane and Pearl), former elementary art teacher, crafter, sewer, photographer and blogger. But most of all, I’m a child of God. I could not and would not be anything or do anything without Him. He has given me every ability and continues to form and shape me daily. We create because God creates. I hope that this little blog can inspire others to create and be creative like our Creator.
I hope we can get to know each other through this blog. It started out as a hobby after my first daughter was born and after a few years I began to take it more seriously. I have not deleted any of my early posts from the first few years, so please forgive the low quality of photos if you come across one! My blogging and crafting skills have come a long way over the years and I still have a lot to learn. I hope that you find inspiration here but I also hope that you know that my life is not perfect and I am not perfect. This blog is meant to inspire, not to make others feel like they need to live up to a certain standard of perfection.
I thought it would be fun to share a few random facts about me:
1. My hair is naturally red. I know some of you are wondering this, so I just thought I’d clear the air. I get asked all the time what color of hair dye I use or where I go to get my hair dyed. Sorry I can’t help recommend red hair dye, ladies (or guys)! My 2 oldest daughters, Lula and Jane both have red hair as well although it’s a different shade than mine. And YES I have heard that red hair will be extinct in 100 years and NO, it’s not true. I get stopped in the store ALL the time by strangers who feel the need to tell me this.
2. I used to be an elementary art teacher. I loved this job because I got to be crafty and messy all day but not worry about being a super amazing artist. I can do the basics, but I’m not gifted by any means. My dream is to become an amazing painter someday when I have time to practice.
3. I am very introverted and shy. Sometimes it’s weird to think about how many people read this blog because I’m actually very shy and have a low tolerance for being around a lot of people. I love being able to hide behind a computer screen. My husband is one of the most outgoing and extraverted people I know which has helped me come a long way in my ability to be less awkward with new people. I do love my friends and meeting new people, I just really need my alone time (which is tricky with 3 little kids!)
4. I have always loved to create. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always been into something creative. My mom is an amazing quilter and seamstress. She taught me to sew around age 5. I made doll quilts and pillows and then moved on to easy skirts and scrunchies. (Did anyone else make scrunchies??) I loved writing and music in high school and then painting, drawing, pottery and anything fine arts in college. When I first got married, I was all about cooking and home decor and once I had kids I started sewing again. Once I started the blog, I’ve continued crafting and sewing as well as getting my creative juices flowing with graphic and web design. I am always kind of bored with what I’m working on and ready to move on to the next creative endeavor.
5. Most of my projects start out as failures. I don’t know if this is true for most DIY bloggers, but I have a ridiculously high failure rate when it comes to my projects. I would say at least 50% of them go in the trash and never make it to the blog. And then the other 50% usually start out as something totally different that I end up changing. Don’t be fooled by the pretty pictures on most blogs, it usually doesn’t start out that way!
There you go, a few random tidbits about me! I hope you you will find some fun things to try on this blog. Please drop me a note and say hi! I love hearing from you and I’m so honored that you have come to my little corner of the web.
Thanks for stopping by!