For repurposing day #22 will be part 2 of the vintage skirt project. Yesterday I made a easy doll pillow. Today, I’ll be making a simple child’s apron from the same skirt.
Here is the skirt I started out with:
I kind of just started cutting without much a plan and hoped I’d come up with some type of apron. Probably a dangerous approach, but I’m just being honest.
I cut an a-line shape, using existing hem as the bottom of the apron. I also cut a portion of the waistband, but ended up using a different piece of fabric for the top portion of the apron.
I cut a strip, folded it in half and serged the edges together for the neck strap. I also cut a square for the top portion of the apron (instead of the waistband I originally cut in the picture above)
I turned under the edges and topstitched, then slightly gathered the top of the a-line apron shape
Folded the cut square in half and pinned to the top of the gathered edge.
I also inserted the neck straps into the folded sides of the now rectangle shape and stitched everything closed. ( Sorry-this is not a great tutorial!)
Then, I cut off the hem and made that the tie for the waist.
Top-stitched it down…
And now I have an apron!
Honestly, with all my projects…I would definitely tweak it next time. This probably shouldn’t come as a surprise since I did just start hacking away at the fabric with no plan. The top of the apron is a bit odd. I think I would change that…
But all in all it’s pretty cute and Lula likes wearing it while playing in her kitchen!
And project #22 is complete!